The porters house and our food tent.
Our houses. The porters had the tents up before you arrived. They ran most of the way in worn little sandals with 25 kilos on their backs. They used to carry 75!! That was until a new rule came in to protect them a little.
There were all these porters and a chef just for 4 of us and 1 guide. Ridiculous. They are no longer allowed to use donkeys on the Inca Trail though and so they carry 7kilos of our stuff too. All this said they were all charming and always having a laugh.
The porters in action! Even the chef carried loads of equipment too.
The first difficult section of the 2nd day - it was 4 hours of up hill! Just thousands of steps - some you had to climb too as they were so high.
The 1st break of the 2nd day - we were doing really well with time, but I was struggling to breathe as all of it was at above 3,500m.
You can see the path we climbed on the right hand side.
Yeay 'Team Inca' made it to the top of the highest peak. I think it was 4,200m. I wanted to cry when I got to the top because of the altitude. On this occasion the altitude didn't affect anyone else in our group. So wierd after I had no symptoms whatsoever previously.
Part of the lovely path.
The porters had already set up for lunch, despite us making really good time. It was at this point where we decided to carry on (people usually stop at this site for the night) as we had made such good time.
Our guide again told us that it was fairly easy!! Ha ha!
I think was a Temple of the Sun.
An awful photo - but it shows how hard I found the altitude on the second day. Anything above 3000m and I just couldn't get my breath. I had to go really slowly - which most of you will know I find very hard!! No-one else was bothered in our group. I made some friends that had the same problem on the 1st peak though.
The lagoon half way up the second peak and Sarah and her motor sticks.
No comments:
Post a Comment